Date: 12/29/17 11:41 am
From: Jim Forde <jimforde...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Snowy Owls west of North Liberty
This morning I located 2 juvenile female SNOWY OWLS, one on a power pole on 260th St. and the other perched on a fence post
just north of F-28, midway between James Ave. and I-380. These were the locations of previous sightings but I thought of the same owl. It doesn't look that way now.

My last Snowy Owl sightings at Hawkeye WMA were on 12/22. Both morning and an evening scoping have been unsuccessful since.

Falling snow shortened my morning but the wildlife seemed to have heard the weather reports. The Snowy Owls were active as were passerines along the roads. A deer herd was feeding in an open field as if it were dusk. It looked like a good day to find birds but for poor visibility and bad driving conditions.

Jim Forde
Cedar Rapids