Date: 12/28/17 9:56 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Red Crossbills, Iraan (Pecos Co.) / CHECK your pecans!
Dear Texbirds,
This morning, 28 December, I had my first PERCHED Red Crossbills of the
2017 irruption. There was a pair, male and female, chowing down on pecans
near the clubhouse of the Iraan Golf Club. Despite numerous mature pines
with cones in the immediate vicinity, this pair clearly preferred pecans.
There was also a Red-breasted Nuthatch accompanying them. I suspect these
two to be Type 2 (Ponderosa Pine) Red Crossbills (the only type I've
detected along the I-10 corridor and south this fall-winter). I have photos
and recordings to send off to Matt Young at Cornell for additional
confirmation.

Happy New Year!
Justin Bosler
Austin, TX