Date: 12/28/17 5:59 pm
From: Terry Colborn <tlcbirding...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] Northern Shrike 12.28.17
Greetings,
While birding at Sac NWR today, my wife and I spotted an immature Northern Shrike. We saw the bird on the backside of the auto tour loop, about 1/4 mile north of the viewing platform. I noted the faint stippling on the breast, the pale gray back, larger bill, and the lack of black feathers across the top of the bill. We were on the bird for about 30 secs. before it flew off. We doubled back around on the auto tour and relocated the shrike at the NE corner where the road turns to the west, by the gated drain. It was teed up on a small, bare tree, but immediately flew off. After 20 mins. of scanning we failed to find it again. This the same general area of the refuge Northern Shrike has been seen in years past.

We also watched Merlin pluck and devour a sparrow sp.

Cheers and good birding,
Terry and Diane Colborn
Davis, CA

Sent from my Time Machine ⏰

Posted by: Terry Colborn <tlcbirding...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)