Date: 12/28/17 5:10 pm
From: Robert Guth <bobwgfsa...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Turkey Vultures Steuben County
While we were observing for the Pokagon State Park CBC, Perry Yoder and I found a colony of 18 Turkey Vultures in Steuben County with some sitting a few hundred feet east and others sitting a few hundred feet north of 700E 100N. The birds had red heads in most cases and classic Turkey Vulture V when flying, and silvery flight feathers. At least one immature was present but most were adults with red heads. The location is 7 miles from Michigan and 3 miles from Ohio. We noted that the birds were mostly gathered in woods near an abandoned house with windows broken out, and we suspect that the birds are roosting in the house. I see on eBird that some Turkey Vultures are in Michigan in December but most winter south of Indianapolis. These birds were not present in 2016 when we covered the same location.
Bob Guth
Goshen, IN
bobwgfsa using gmail

Join us on Facebook!