Date: 12/28/17 4:42 pm
From: <jim_irving...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] An Odd Visitor - Western Bluebird?

Today, Thursday at approximately 2:30pm my friend and I saw what we think was a drab adult Western Bluebird on 3rd St between Taylor and Jackson near Japantown. We are 95 percent sure, although we have a little room for doubt as it seems like an unlikely place to spot a Bluebird.
The size, bill, and demeanor fit the characteristics of a Bluebird, and the plumage was mostly gray with a faded rusty chest, a blue tail and coverts. It was a brief look, and neither of us recalls noticing an eye ring before we lost sight of it - probably due to surprise! We did comb the Sibley and also scoured online photos to help determine id.
Any thoughts?
Happy birding and New Year.

Join us on Facebook!