Date: 12/28/17 2:43 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] Turnover at Valmont Reservoir, Boulder County, Dec. 27
Hey, all. Andrew Floyd and I ventured out to the Valmont Reservoir complex,
Boulder County, yesterday evening, Wed., Dec. 27. What a change from 48
hours earlier. With strong winds, warmth, and hazy sunshine yesterday, the
birds at Valmont were strikingly different. First off, a *tundra swan* was
flying around out there, the peripatetic "Valmont swan," I suspect. We also
saw two kinds of *Iceland gulls:* an adult *thayeri* (more or less expected
here in winter) and an immature *kumlieni* (unusual in Colorado). In the
old days, like, last winter, we called the former "Thayer gull" and the
latter "Iceland gull." Now they are all Iceland gulls. And we found a
first-cycle *lesser black-backed gull,* but no adults (on Christmas day, we
saw two adults). The other recent goodies--the loons and red-necked
grebes--eluded us.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County