Date: 12/28/17 2:03 pm
From: Chip Clouse <chip.clouse...>
Subject: [cobirds] Red Rocks Trading Post Feeders 12/23 + RR etiquette
COBirders,
Sorry for the late post. I led a small group from the Front Range Birding
Co up to see what was visiting the feeders last Saturday. I visited Friday
morning to make sure there was seed and revisited early Sat as well. FYI:
the back porch is under construction and was roped off with no access.
We saw 5 different forms of Dark-eyed Junco (no white-winged), Black-capped
Chickadees (no Mountain), Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches,
Woodhouse's Scrub-Jays, Black-billed Magpies, House Finches, 1 - Flicker, 1
- Spotted Towhee, 1 - Townsend's Solitaire, and American Kestrels. All but
the last two were coming in to the no-mess Patio Blend I put out.
That brings me to the etiquette part. Upon arrival I found some seed
already in the tray feeder. This looked like a good-quality mix but had
shells and would certainly sprout. I was told by employees of the Trading
Post/CO Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum that we are welcome to put out
seed but only no-mess mixes that won't sprout or build up shells. I was
also told that a lot of birders have been "shushing" other visitors that
have as much of a right to be there as we do. I would make that a
teachable moment and try to share the birds with the people visiting.
There is nothing like a scope view to open someone's eyes - literally!
So Mary Cay sent out an email a week or two ago looking for volunteers to
help put out no mess seed. I encourage others to volunteer but please, if
you bring up seed outside of this group, please bring just sunflower chips,
hulled millet or a no-mess blend.

Good birding,
Chip Clouse
Golden, CO