Date: 12/28/17 12:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET St Mary's Seminary In Mundelein Thursday 12-28-17
Hello Bird People,

After 2 days with no birding (a long time for me) I decided that cold
or no cold I would make it outside today. But with the starting temps
just above zero I didn't arrive at St Mary's until about 9:30 a.m. at
which time the temp was 11 & with little wind it didn't feel too bad.
I stayed out 90 min & it was up to 16 at the end. I went to St Mary's
as that's where I do the Waukegan X-Mas Count so a little advance
scouting was in order.

The Canada Geese (about 400) have managed to keep a small part of the
lake open & hidden within the Geese were 2 male COMMON MERGANSERS
which would disappear among the Geese most of the time.

Only the most common of land birds were found by me but the amount of
pine cones is very high & something special is certainly possible.
Land birds that I did see were Red Bellied, Downy & Hairy Woodpeckers,
Blue Jays, Chickadees, both Red (1) & White (4) Breasted Nuthatches,
Cardinal (1-PR) & Junco (1). Flying by were Rock Pigeons (3), Robins
(14 in 1 group) & one Gull Species? too far away to I.D.

For those considering birding at this location be aware that it is
open to the public but not until 9 a.m. & you must park in what they
call the "purple lot" west of the lake & the streets with buildings
toward the Rt 45 entrance. Security cars frequently drive by & no
parking along the roads is allowed.

Bird-Of-The-Day on this cold day goes to the 2 male Common Mergansers &
Runner-Up to the Red Breasted Nuthatch.

The 2 cars with Alaska plates continue about half a mile from my house
& maybe they will stick around to be counted for 2018 although they
have never stayed that long before.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today hoping for Winter Finches on the day of the actual count.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: