Date: 12/28/17 10:17 am
From: Ken Hackman <khackman...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] eBird -- 6409–6423 Highway 39, Braithwaite US-LA (29.8389,-89.9820) -- Dec 28, 2017
All,

We watched the Fork-tailed Flycatcher for about ten minutes this morning after waiting about an hour and a half in the windy cold conditions. When the wind died, the Western Kingbirds showed up first. After that, we saw the Scissor-tailed and Fork-tailed within about ten minutes. It disappeared when it started drizzling, and just as another group pulled up. They missed it, but we hope they get it now that we have left. Beautiful bird. Hoping to add the Iceland Gull next as we are headed east to the Mississippi Coast.

Missbirders may also be interested to know that we were told there is a Brown-crested Flycatcher at the Chalmette Battlefield.

Ken Hackman
Madison, MS

6409–6423 Highway 39, Braithwaite US-LA (29.8389,-89.9820)
Dec 28, 2017
8:59 AM
Stationary
120 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Continuing Fork-tailed Flycatcher, along with WEKI and STFL. Cold overcast conditions. FTFL came out for about ten minutes or so, feeding after the wind died down. It disappeared into grasses when it starting drizzling rain.
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.6.2 Build 28

3 Great Egret
2 Turkey Vulture
1 Bald Eagle
1 Red-tailed Hawk
3 Ring-billed Gull
2 Mourning Dove
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 American Kestrel
1 Eastern Phoebe
5 Western Kingbird -- Dallying forth in presence of two Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and the FTFL. Pale gray head with darker grayish back; even darker wings and with yellow underparts. Outer edges of tail were white when seen sallying.
2 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
1 Fork-tailed Flycatcher -- Seen in company of two Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and 5 Western Kingbirds. Seen well through scope on in cloudy overcast conditions from about 100 yards. Bright white chest with black cap and dark wings and very long black forked tail. Observed by two of us for about 10 minutes before light rain chased him down in grasses.
1 Loggerhead Shrike
5 American Crow
1 Carolina Wren
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet