Date: 12/27/17 11:13 pm
From: PAUL SARACENI <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] SF CBC Sea-watch, 12/27/17
This morning Kevin McKereghan and I conducted the sea-watch for the SF CBC from the south-end of the Great Highway (7:10 AM-1:00 PM), then Hugh Cotter and I scoped from higher-up @ Ft. Funston for ~1.5 hrs. to get a different view of the ocean.

The morning started off foggy with only about 50% visibility but conditions improved as the morning went on with visibility out to the horizon and glassy ocean surface. Winds were light and variable.

In addition to scoping the ocean, we observed a nice gull roost on the beach below -- until the dog walkers came through -- and some good passerines as well, as noted below.

Observations of local interest:

N. Pintail 17 (1 flock spotted by Kevin flying N @ 10:45 AM)

Greater Scaup 11 (1 & 10 on the ocean)

Surf Scoter 373

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 1 m. (with Surf Scoters on the ocean just beyond the surf line)

BLACK SCOTER 4 m./3 f.

Bufflehead 1 m./1 f. (flying separately over the surf)

Red-breasted Merganser 1 m./1 f. (flying N together)

Red-thr. Loon 1240 (only counted flying N; as is typical, the flock moves N, likely to Golden Gate Channel, then returns S later in the day and portions of the flock join feeding frenzies on the ocean)

Pacific Loon 164

Common Loon 8

W. Grebe 42

Brandt's Cormorant 51

Double-cr. Cormorant 7

Brown Pelican 11 (low number)

Long-billed Curlew 6 (1/4/1 flying S and on the beach)

Sanderling 1045 (multiple flocks; only counted moving N)

Heermann's Gull 89 (including 9 juvs./1ws)

Mew Gull 232

Ring-billed Gull 1 1w (on the beach)

W. Gull 124

California Gull 243

Herring Gull 21

Iceland ("Thayer's") Gull 41

Glaucous-winged Gull 22

Glaucous-winged x Western Gull 10

Glaucous-winged x Herring Gull 1 1w

Common Murre 2 (low number)

Peregrine Falcon 1 (over Ft. F. bluffs)

Black Phoebe 2

Say's Phoebe 1

EASTERN PHOEBE 1 (presumably the L. Merced individual observed @ Harding Park by others earlier in the morning; we observed/photographed it between 11:25/11:55 AM as it perched/fly-catched from the barbed wire fence over entrance to the water treatment plant on the E side of the Great Highway across from our sea-watch position)

BARN SWALLOW 5 (as has been noted on some prior SF CBCs and other mid-winter sea-watches, northbound individuals of this species included 1 flying past the south-end @ 11:43 AM, and a group of 4 flying over the Ft. F. bluffs @ 2:25 PM)

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

Join us on Facebook!