Date: 12/27/17 6:22 pm
From: Jon Houghton <jon.houghton...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Waterville/Okanogan Day 1
Hi Tweets - It's almost a holiday tradition now: Head east between the holidays. From E. Wenatchee, we headed over Badger Mt. just to stay off the beaten path. About 13 degrees and foggy on the ascent but the clouds broke on the high plateau part. Not many birds but in a pine woods area between ranchettes, all of a sudden I had to chatter to a stop (ABS brakes on ice) for a flock of largish birds in the road: it was 11 ROSE BREASTED GROSBESKS, most were males and included the brightest we'd ever seen. In Waterville, we didn't ID anything special but a Kestrel was perched for a view of the feeder array on RT. 2. North of Waterville we saw several Rough-legged Hawks on poles and several large flocks of Horned Larks, one with one (!) SNOW BUNTING. Withrow had much grain, many columbids and House Sparrows, but no Gray Partridge.
We then designated Mansfield the Quail Capital of the NW and failed to find an owl in the town cemetery, despite much 'paint' under one tree. Our prime focus was on Sharptailed Grouse in waterbirch along Bridgeport Hill Rd. In the past, on cold afternoons with snow on the ground, we've found them, but...not today, maybe not enough snow to bring em down out of the sage?? . But, snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow so... stay tuned! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds