Date: 12/27/17 1:39 pm
From: Bob Reiling <rreiling2...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Continuing Swamp Sparrow
All,

A few minutes before 9 this morning (12/27) I had a good front view of a first winter SWAMP SPARROW perched on the wire fence located West of the dike between the Palo Alto Airport and the Marsh, 100 to 120 yards before "the bush." Aging is primarily based on the white malar stripe. The bird had a thin white stripe down the center of the dark crown, a very light gray face (supercilium, neck and nape), a straight dark eye stripe, a clear white throat and a finely streaked light grayish breast and white belly. I did not hear the bird call, airport noise was high early on and my hearing is not the best. Almost all bird activity this morning involved flying from the marsh to the overgrown weeds on the airport side of the dike and the area just beyond the wire fence. There was very little activity after about 9:40 AM.
Take care,

Bob Reiling

Join us on Facebook!