Date: 12/27/17 11:25 am
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: Winter Wonder-land (Fox Sparrows, Harrier)
No snow on the ground, but the falling flurries glistening under the cold
bright sun produced a magical effect at North Schoolhouse. I found a pair
of FOX sparrows amongst the robins and white-throated sparrows. hermit
thrushes and yellow-rumps, digging up old decaying leaves.

Two red-shouldered hawks flew to new perches and a red-tailed hawk looked
like a white plastic bag snagged on a tree, his belly puffed up against the
cold.

Running up the back-side of Bolivar Heights, who should appear hovering
above the tall golden grasses but Ms. NORTHERN HARRIER. We'd seen her on
the front hill on Christmas Eve morning. On that occasion she'd actually
caught a small dark mammal and carried it away in her talons, over the
treetops and away to the nearby river. Today I lost her at the north end of
the field. She has a way of disappearing into thin air.

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry/Bolivar

Join us on Facebook!