Date: 12/27/17 9:58 am
From: Steven Tucker <talkingtrees80...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Recent birding - Swamp Sparrow, geese, etc.
12/25 - At Los Gatos Creek County Park there was an adult Greater White-fronted Goose in the northern pond, which is not the same individual I saw here earlier in the fall. There were still a couple female Redheads in the third pond from the north. Gulling was very good at the little western pond at 37.265045°, -121.953968° which can also be viewed from Dell Ave. The flock here is close to the trail and very diverse, and included an interesting but uncooperative extremely pale and striking Herring type (2nd cycle I think) that had a cord wrapped around its leg. Didn't see the loon.
12/26 - At the Palo Alto Baylands, there was a Swamp Sparrow on the San Francisquito Creek Trail. A distant Green-winged Teal seen on the east side of Embarcadero Road (between the duck pond and interpretive center) was either a "Common" Teal or a hybrid crecca x carolinensis, I could not see it well enough to discern which.
12/27 - There is an immature Snow Goose and a Cackling Goose right now behind my house on the Los Capitancillos Ponds - they are on the first pond east of Meridian. My dad Jim first saw the Snow Goose a couple days ago.
Good birding,
Steve TuckerSan Jose

Join us on Facebook!