Date: 12/26/17 11:51 pm
From: <ddkapan...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Around the Academy this afternoon—very few birds and eBird error!
Happy Holidays SF birders,

As I strolled through the Aids Memorial grove this afternoon I heard some of the typical Red-masked Parakeets fly over—but entered them in the *other* eBird program incorrectly—making a note to change later. If you get eBird alerts you will see my mistake that I have since corrected. Rest assured no Amazona parrots were detected right before the SF Christmas Bird count.

Speaking of count week, I also visited the Rhododendron dell, the field E of the Academy, the Lily Pond and the oak woodland near handball courts. Overall I detected very few birds with almost none of the usual sparrows that can be active in the afternoon (one California towhee, a few Dark-eyed Juncos and one Song Sparrow were detected). I did find an Orange-Crowned Warbler in the oaks between the dell and the field where a large (over 30) conspiracy of ravens has been hanging out for the a while.

Good luck with the count tomorrow!

Durrell Kapan
Tam Valley and Golden Gate Park

http://www.yahoogroups.com/