Date: 12/26/17 4:35 pm
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: Junction City Christmas Bird Count
Three hardy souls (insane???) (plus one short period feeder watcher)
participated in the Junction City Christmas Bird Count today, in clearly the
coldest day of the year (so far!). Thanks to Bob Kruger and Jeff Keating (and
Jaye Otte for checking the home feeders!!!)

With a low temperature of 4, a high of 12, moderate to light snow in the
morning and mostly cloudy skies this afternoon, we managed to eke out right
at 60 species. Birds were sitting VERY tight until late in the day (well I haven't
done anything all day hoping it would warm up, but it hasn't so I'd better get
out and find something to eat!!!)

Best birds of the day were likely a Hermit Thrush on Walla Walla Rd, very
upclose views of a perched Merlin in the Curtis Creek area of Milford Lake
(both Geary County) and the rescue of a Barred Owl, who's wings were
entangled in fishing line at Moon Lake on Ft Riley) by Jeff Keating. Said owl
was taken to Milford Nature Center by a game warden, to be checked out
and strengthened to be released.

I considered postponing the count to this weekend, but the weather wasn't
going to be any better then so what the heck!!!!

Stay warm out there CBCers, it's going to be a rough few days!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!