Date: 12/26/17 3:53 pm
From: PAUL SARACENI <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] 12/26 Sea watch -- Harlequin Duck et al.
Another sea watch this morning (7:30-9:30 AM; part of the time with Sam S.) from the same location in light NW winds produced, among other species:

Bufflehead 1 f. (flying N alone; spotted by Sam)

HARLEQUIN DUCK 1 f. (flying N alone over the surf @ 7:30 AM)

Surf Scoter 60+

BLACK SCOTER 5 m./3 f.

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 10 (I followed 2 flying S which then landed and joined a group of 8 more of this species drifting SW; likely ended up off of Ft. Funston where some were observed by Sam later today)

Red-thr. Loon 600+ (first flying N, then many came back S and joined a feeding frenzy)

Pacific Loon 5

Common Loon 3

Murrelet sp. 1 (landed then dove and disappeared from view)

Also: Bottlenose Dolphin 2

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

> On December 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM "PAUL SARACENI <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds]" <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> This morning I did a "count week" sea watch (7:15-8:45 AM) from the south end of the Great Highway, ahead of my sea watch for the SF CBC this Weds. Winds were out of the NE which is not ideal for this location, but that pushed a few ducks over the ocean. The sea was relatively flat and visibility was good under overcast skies.
>
> Observations of local interest:
>
> Am. Wigeon 6 (3 on the ocean, 3 flying with Pintail flock)
>
> N. Pintail 7 m. (flying N with 3 Am. Wigeon)
>
> Greater Scaup 10 (1 flock flying S)
>
> Surf Scoter 150+
>
> BLACK SCOTER 1 m.
>
> WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 1 (flying N with 4 Surf Scoters; this species has been very scarce off of SF this fall)
>
> Red-thr. Loon 320+ (most flying N, some on the water)
>
> Pacific Loon 3
>
> Common Loon 4
>
> Great Blue Heron 1 (flying N over Great Highway)
>
> Snowy Egret 9 (flying N over the surf in a single flock -- the most I have ever seen together in a flock in SF)
>
> Killdeer 1 (flying over Great Highway)
>
> Heermann's Gull 15
>
> Iceland (Thayer's) Gull 4
>
> Herring Gull 7
>
> Com. Murre 8
>
> This past Saturday, 12/23, I observed an ad. BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE flying in the Golden Gate Channel below Battery Godfrey. From the Mile Rock overlook I observed a flock of 7 Red Crossbills flying high out over the Channel. By call (high-pitched, clipped) they sounded like non-locals. Wintering House Wrens continue at both of those locations.
>
> Paul Saraceni
>
> San Francisco

Join us on Facebook!