Date: 12/26/17 2:15 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
On a cold and breezy day we found 88 species of birds. Ducks continue in abundance. We tallied 448 Northern Pintails, 255 Gadwalls, 220 Mallards, 154 Ring-necked Ducks( the majority of which were on the far side of Meadow Pond), 66 Redheads, 12 Lesser Scaups, 85 Green-winged Teals, 21 Ruddy Ducks, 3 Canvasbacks, 1 Bufflehead and 2 Hooded Mergansers. Sparrows were abundant with 105 Harris's Sparrows, an unusually good count. We saw both Spotted and Eastern Towhees, across the road from the entrance to Oil Field Rd. The feeders that the work campers have out were very active, with Pine Siskins, House Finches, White-crowned Sparrows, Northern Cardinals and other species present. The Bald Eagle pair was present at the end of Egret Pad. We found a Winter Wren at Meadow Pond.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer at Hagerman NWR.
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!