Date: 12/26/17 6:06 am
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] Valmont Reservoir, Boulder County, Dec. 25
Hello, all.

Late yesterday afternoon, Christmas Day, Dec. 25, Andrew Floyd and I birded
Valmont Reservoir, Boulder County. We birded from 75th St., rather than
from Arapahoe Ave; as others have noted recently, this is really the only
way to see the great magnitudes of birds gathered out there right now. The
situation there is puzzling to me, with Hillcrest and Leggett Reservoirs
completely frozen, but Valmont Reservoir proper completely open; in recent
years, Valmont typically has been the first of the three to freeze over.

Anyhow, birds. The continuing *pacific loon* was constantly in view, and
two continuing *red-necked grebes* were reasonably close in. Unnatural
numbers of mergansers of all three species, plus the beginnings of a gull
roost. A couple of adult *lesser black-backed gulls* were the first I'm
aware of in Boulder County in more than a month. I think it just had to get
cold.

Speaking of which, I offer the following advice: If you're going to look
for gulls at sunset in late winter in Boulder County, don't leave your
gloves at home... (And have Andrew carry the scope!)

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County