Date: 12/25/17 7:00 pm
From: PAUL SARACENI <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] 12/25 Sea watch + 12/23 Black-legged Kittiwake
This morning I did a "count week" sea watch (7:15-8:45 AM) from the south end of the Great Highway, ahead of my sea watch for the SF CBC this Weds. Winds were out of the NE which is not ideal for this location, but that pushed a few ducks over the ocean. The sea was relatively flat and visibility was good under overcast skies.

Observations of local interest:

Am. Wigeon 6 (3 on the ocean, 3 flying with Pintail flock)

N. Pintail 7 m. (flying N with 3 Am. Wigeon)

Greater Scaup 10 (1 flock flying S)

Surf Scoter 150+

BLACK SCOTER 1 m.

WHITE-WINGED SCOTER 1 (flying N with 4 Surf Scoters; this species has been very scarce off of SF this fall)

Red-thr. Loon 320+ (most flying N, some on the water)

Pacific Loon 3

Common Loon 4

Great Blue Heron 1 (flying N over Great Highway)

Snowy Egret 9 (flying N over the surf in a single flock -- the most I have ever seen together in a flock in SF)

Killdeer 1 (flying over Great Highway)

Heermann's Gull 15

Iceland (Thayer's) Gull 4

Herring Gull 7

Com. Murre 8

This past Saturday, 12/23, I observed an ad. BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE flying in the Golden Gate Channel below Battery Godfrey. From the Mile Rock overlook I observed a flock of 7 Red Crossbills flying high out over the Channel. By call (high-pitched, clipped) they sounded like non-locals. Wintering House Wrens continue at both of those locations.

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

Join us on Facebook!