Date: 12/25/17 6:12 pm
From: Janna Pauser <jannapauser...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Guadalupe River Channel rails 12-25-17
Eve Meier's post yesterday prompted me to bird along the Guadalupe River
trail, which I had been neglecting far too long. I birded the short
stretch of trail north of the Coleman bridge to the water district dam
and saw eight rails in less than an hour. It could have been the time of
day, around 4 pm, or the fact that their preferred habitat has shrunk
drastically concentrating them in this area. Three SORA were seen at
various locations at the edge of the cattails and two more in a small
clump of cattails south of the Guadalupe Creek inflow. One VIRGINIA RAIL
and a pair of COMMON GALLINULE were in the open near the cattails. Five
WHITE THROATED SWIFTS flew overhead and a chirping OSPREY flew past with
a large fish in its talons.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

Join us on Facebook!