Date: 12/25/17 3:32 pm
From: EA <eaubrey...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Bald Eagles
Today I carried out my completely unscientific personal Christmas Day Bald
Eagle Count along the Iowa River in Iowa City and Coralville, from Terry
Trueblood Recreation Area south of Iowa City to the Waterworks Prairie Park
north of town and points inbetween. It was a good year. I came up with 41
eagles, some perched, some soaring, some fishing. Most were adults, along
with 4 juveniles and 2 sub-adults. I was more systematic and thorough with
my survey this year, so I won't try to compare these numbers with those I've
had over the last several years. Or with any future years, for that matter,
since there is nothing reliable about my numbers. I do it for the sheer
pleasure and to test my endurance of frigid temperatures.

Of interest today: An adult and a juvenile fishing "together" below the
Iowa River Power Company dam - as soon as the adult took off the juvenile
became its shadow in a stellar display of learninghood, and once when the
juvenile acted like it had caught a fish (it hadn't) the adult came right
for it in a steal attempt. At Waterworks Park a pair of juveniles danced
around each other in close proximity as they soared. Such fun to watch!

Best wishes to all for the holidays and new year.

Elizabeth Aubrey

Iowa City

.