Date: 12/25/17 10:57 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Even More Redpolls But Few People At The Chicago Botanic Garden Monday 12-25-17
Merry Christmas Bird People,

Unless doing a X-Mas Count most birders would skip a day with temps in
the teens with a good breeze but looking at the forecast for the next
few days it will soon be far worse & so I went birding after all.
Being Christmas Day at the CBG the grounds were open to the public but
not the buildings. I saw not 1 single walker away from the area by the
Regenstein Building & only a few there. It was fun to have the place
almost to myself. When I left at 11 a.m. there was a grand total of 7
cars in the main parking lot. If you are interested in seeing an
almost deserted CBG try a visit on New Years Day when again the
grounds will be open but not the buildings. The temp was 16 at 9 a.m.
& 19 at 11 a.m. when I left. Here's my short day list.

Chicago Botanic Garden (9-11 a.m.)

The few places with open water continue but all have less open water
than last time & by the end of this cold week probably all water will
be frozen except where the stream goes under the Rt 68 bridge into the
Skokie Lagoons.

Canada Goose (240 in the pond north of Evening Island & 350 more by
the Rt 68 bridge)
Mallard (2-PR by Rt 68 bridge)
Common Goldeneye (2-F, 1 north of Evening Island & 1 by the Rt 68 bridge)
HOODED MERGANSER (2-M & 1-F all by the Rt 68 bridge)
"Winter Coot" (1 by Rt 68 bridge where one usually winters)
Mourning Dove (3 fly-bys)
Crow (1)
Chickadee (4-6)
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH (2)
Robin (only 1 eating red berries)
Starling (1 flock of about 30 by the entrance off Lake Cook Road)
Cardinal (1-PR eating red berries on the Fruit & Vegetable Island)
Dark Eyed Junco (16-18, scattered)
PINE SISKIN (4 at the feeders & 37 more in the nearby Alders as usual)
COMMON REDPOLL (up to at least 92 all in the north side Birch Trees by
the Regenstein Building at 9 a.m. & still over 70 at 11 a.m.)
Goldfinch (10-12, scattered in small numbers)

Birds usually seen but missed today were Gulls, Blue Jays & House Sparrows.
Also no sight nor sound of last visits Monk Parakeets.

Today quantity is king (except for the geese) & Bird-Of-The-Day goes
to the almost 100
Common Redpolls & Runners-Up to the over 40 Siskins.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the 2 fine looking male Hooded Mergansers.

Best I could do on a cold & windy day but at least the sun was shining
& people were few.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>