Date: 12/25/17 10:13 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Hummingbirds
I did some yard birding this morning while the kids were still asleep and
had a very busy time keeping up with the amount of activity I had. I
discovered a few days ago that not only did I have last year's wintering
female Costa's again, but last year's wintering male is back again as well!
I'd heard him singing twice already and I finally saw him this morning and
was able to take lots of photos of both birds, as well as of the other
hummingbirds that I currently have (including one funny leucistic Allen's
with a white throat). I had both Costa's together in frame a few times but
they moved too quickly for me to get photos fast enough. They've suddenly
become the dominant species at my feeders, at least this morning, as the
female is chasing away anybody that comes near (and before she suddenly got
bold, the male was chasing everybody away).

I have posted photos of some of the birds I had this morning, including
both Costa's, to an eBird checklist here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41305688.

I included multiple angles of the female, for those who would like some
photos to study.

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas, or otherwise a happy Monday!

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>