Date: 12/25/17 8:57 am
Subject: A Jingle Bells gull on Lake Johnson in Raleigh
This morning I felt the need to get outdoors for some exercise, but with
fairly high winds I wanted to stay in a sheltered place, and hope for the
best in turning up something decent on Christmas morning. So, I went
walking on the greenway at Lake Johnson here in the city. Interestingly,
in just a small flock of about 20 Ring-billed Gulls on the water, there was
a slightly smaller bird with a slaty back and a thin black bill. I went
back to the car, and sure enough -- it was an adult LAUGHING GULL. (Too
bad it was about 9 days too late for the Wake County CBC; I wonder if this
species has ever been found on the count.)

I tried to turn it into an even more outlandish Franklin's Gull, but as the
lyrics in Jingle Bells go -- it was a "Laughing all the way!"

Merry Christmas!

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!