Date: 12/25/17 6:36 am
From: Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Panama AAST fundraiser trip
Despite the massive fiasco at Atlanta airport on Dec. 18th, which unfortunately forced most tour participants to miss some or all of the trip, we managed to salvage something substantial out of the tour.  It raised $1,000 for the Arkansas Audubon Society Trust endowment.
The tour was based in the luxurious Canopy Lodge near the delightful town of El Valle de Anton (made famous by Elizabeth Kolbert's Pulitzer-winning book, Sixth Extinction, which dedicates a whole chapter to the plight of the golden frogs in this valley).
The tour tallied 183 species of mostly forest birds, including 14 species of tanagers and 13 hummingbirds.  Particularly pleasing were great sightings of the seclusive Tody Motmot and a Spectacled Owl deep inside the forest, expertly digiscoped by our guide, and a gorgeous male Rosy Thrush-tanager which was lured out of the dense tangles by voice playbacks.  A luncheon picnic stop in a remote Pacific beach yielded Blue-footed Boobies.  A male Golden-collared Manakin bathing in a road-side stream made for a picture-perfect grand finale.
This tour helped me cross making $10,000 for the trust endowment, which has set an ambitious goal of reaching $200,000 by its 50th anniversary in 2022.  Next stop, Ecuador in March, followed by Trinidad & Tobago in May (both full).  Many thanks to all the birders, especially those who sign up for multiple tours, for channelling their birding passion to promote bird conservation and research.
KannanFt. Smith

Join us on Facebook!