Date: 12/24/17 8:06 pm
From: <lwrkenai...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Superior CBC highlights--Dusky Flycatcher, Red Crossbill, et al.
Hi Birders,

Yesterday, 23 December, Mike Evans and I helped survey areas along Queen Creek
and the town of Superior for the Superior CBC. A few nice finds along Queen
Cr. just east of the Perlite Crossing included a calling Dusky Flycatcher,
Golden-crowned Kinglet, Pyrrhuloxia, Gray Flycatcher, Brown Creeper, Black-
throated Gray and Myrtle Warbler. The Perlite Crossing Rd. entrance to this
area off of S.R. 60 is now closed, but you can access the area by taking a
rough Forest Service Rd. west from the town of Superior for about 2 miles that
parallels the southern edge of the Superior "airstrip".

Later, we checked out the Aleppo pines around the Superior High School and
were happy to find about eight Red Crossbills foraging in the row of pines
bordering the east side of the football field. This flock moved around a lot,
giving "kep-kep" calls, that seems higher-pitched than others I have heard.
Unfortunately, we did not get a recording or good photos. Also in a nearby
Aleppo pine was a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Good Birding,
Brian Ison

Scottsdale
<lwrkenai...>