Date: 12/24/17 6:14 pm
From: John Romano <birderjuan...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Fork-tailed F/C, Grove-billed Ani, Brown Booby
I have never birded in the New Orleans area, but thanks to all of the
great info shared by the birders on this list and their inputs to e-bird, I
put together a wish list of 5 potential Louisiana or Life birds and talked
a friend into joining me for the junket.
We arrived at the Belle Chase Ferry at 10:31 just in time to see the
ferry pull away. As I sat distraught and pouting in the car my friend got
out and a few minutes later asked, what are those green birds over there ?
Monk Parakeets. New Louisiana Bird - no need to search City Park.
Got ferry ride accross river and drove south 7 tenths mile and looked
around, nothing. Waited awhile and approx 11:25 AM decided to walk up
toward the levy and tree line and found the Fork-tailed F/C perched about
2/3 the way up a tree. New Louisiana bird - not a lifer as I saw the the
3rd Wisconsin state record for this species in Oct 2000 in Dane County
Wisconsin. Have good photos and will post in E-bird report later.
Off to Braithwaite. Looked around about 90 minutes and suddenly there
they were, the Grove-billed Ani at around 1:45 PM. Once we found them they
were extremely cooperative and I have maybe 40 photos, some from 30 feet
away and will post in e-bird report once sorted and cropped. This was a
LIFER.
Finally decided to use the Pontchartrian Causeway for trip back to
Lafayette area. The way things were going we might actually see a Brown
Booby, and we did. Around 16.4 the bird approached low over the water with
view of the long pointed wings and swung north giving us a perfect side
view of the white belly, dark neck and head and lightish bill. LIFER.
Good people, this never happens to me to have so much good birding
fortune on a planned outing with target birds. I just had to tell the
story.
( only miss was the Western Kingbird )
Thanks again for all the shared information.

John Romano
Opelousas/Beaux Bridge

Join us on Facebook!