Date: 12/24/17 4:12 pm
From: Felipe Guerrero <fillieg...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Rough-legged Hawk in Williamson Valley, Yavapai Co.
Micah Riegner and I discovered a striking light-morph Rough-legged Hawk in
Williamson Valley early this morning. The bird stood out plainly from its
juniper perch where it remained just long enough for photos and video
before taking flight to the east.

Shortly after, in the nearby Santa Maria Mountains, we tallied over a dozen
Slate-colored Fox Sparrows in a stretch of chaparral adjacent to County
Road 68. The birds were readily vocal and easy to observe, approaching
closely while calling and even singing in response to playback. To my
knowledge this is a new location for this species but is expected in this
habitat at this time of year.

Later in the morning we reached the location of previously reported Clark's
Nutcrackers (20 on 3 Dec) where we found 2 in the company of 15-20 Lewis's
Woodpeckers. Their presence in this sparsely forested, relatively
low-elevation range is interesting to say the least.

Felipe Guerrero