Date: 12/24/17 3:23 pm
From: Bird Mom <pep4223...>
Subject: Red-headed Woodpeckers, American Tree Sparrow, Field Sparrow - Jefferson County
My birding buddy Chuck and I wanted to escape from the hectic craziness of Christmas Eve today, so we visited a number of Jefferson County birding spots. Driving the Bloomery Road along the Shenandoah River was without the daily traffic that funnels through there with the school buses on week days. Although the river was pretty quiet overall birdwise, we did see 2 Bald Eagles today. Another treat was seeing three Brown Creepers in one location together near the river .

We then went to Shannondale Lake, where we had a Ruddy Duck and a few Ring-necked Ducks still hanging around. We were lucky to hear one Red-headed Woodpecker, and get a great visual on another one. They were my first Red-heads of the winter season.

Our last stop was Altona Marsh. Be aware that there is some tie replacement work slated for that area, plus some new equipment recently installed along the tracks. It was good that no one was working there today, which allowed us to bird the tracks. The gem bird at the marsh was one American Tree Sparrow seen among the numerous Song Sparrows. We also had great closeup views of a lone Field Sparrow too.

Happy Holidays,

BIRDMOM
Jefferson County, WV

Join us on Facebook!