Date: 12/24/17 9:40 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [COBOL] Antone CBC on December 18th
Hi all,

Working my way backward through this week's counts now that I'm back
home ...

The Antone Christmas Bird Count took place on Monday, December 18th.
This count is near Dayville, Oregon and straddles the county line
between Grant & Wheeler counties. We enjoyed good weather and mostly
good road conditions, with temperatures up to 44 F in the afternoon.

Highlights include two separate Northern Goshawks (both adults), a
Loggerhead Shrike that allowed excellent views as it hunted insects by
making repeated flights down to the ground from a post, and an adult
Harris's Sparrow.

Townsend's Solitaires were seen in good numbers. One sang its "whisper
song" from a juniper right behind the Thomas Condon Visitor Center as we
were getting started. American Robins were abundant, especially around
fields and pastures in the bottomlands along the South Fork John Day
River and Rock Creek.

No Steller's Jays, Golden-crowned Kinglets, American Goldfinches, or
Lesser Goldfinches were found.

Volunteers included Tom Winters, Mardi Jensen, Laurie & Dave Robinson,
Pat Grediagin, Jeff Picton, and Martha Geier. We were especially to have
a team from the school in Monument this year, as Roger Long brought
along three of his students. Hopefully after hiking up and down the
hills and canyons they weren't too tired for basketball practice in the
afternoon!

Here's the whole list:

Canada Goose 96
Mallard 24
Northern Pintail 3 New species for count
Hooded Merganser 10
Common Merganser 1
Common Goldeneye 4
Great Blue Heron 2
Bald Eagle 12 Good numbers, regular here in calving season
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Cooper's Hawk 5
NORTHERN GOSHAWK 2 adults, found on opposite sides of circle.
Golden Eagle 3
American Kestrel 5
PRAIRIE FALCON 2 found in two sectors
Belted Kingfisher 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 5
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE 1 s. of Picture Gorge.
Northern Shrike 2
Black-billed Magpie 62
Common Raven 46
Black-capped Chickadee 11 within one of record high for this count
Mountain Chickadee 15
Bushtit 25
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
Canyon Wren 9 typical numbers for this count
Pacific Wren 1
American Dipper 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
Townsend's Solitaire 64 good numbers.
American Robin 3068 high numbers this year
European Starling 262 record high count
Spotted Towhee 1
Song Sparrow 22
White-crowned Sparrow 7
HARRIS'S SPARROW 1 adult along river just above Picture Gorge.
Dark-eyed Junco 192 all seen well were "Oregon" form
House Finch 2
RED CROSSBILL 6 high up in Frank Creek area
EVENING GROSBEAK 1 Antone Ranch, rare for this count.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis