Date: 12/24/17 5:42 am
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: Searching the KSBIRD-L archives
I've received a couple of questions about using the search function in the
KSBIRD-L archives so rather than writing the same message several times,
I'll post it here.

To access the search function first go to the archives page:

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html

In case you weren't aware, this address is posted at the bottom of every
KSBIRD-L message that is sent out.

On the right hand side of that page, in the little box that says "Options", click
on the little magnifying glass that says "Search Archives".

This will take you to the search home page. The first box on that page says
"String". All you have to do is enter the word(s) that you want to search for
and it will search through all of the entire text of all messages in the archives
dating back to March 1996. You don't have to mark anything in the advanced
Search section.

The search function works fairly quickly. I entered Snowy Owl just now and in
less than 15 seconds it came up with 19 pages of results (50 messages per
page) starting with the most recent messages and going all the way back to
the first message in the archives that mentioned Snowy Owl (which was in
December 1997.) Like all search functions it's going to go for exact matches
excluding upper/lower case. (Clicking on the Substring box allows it to look
for any message where those letters are together. Just entering "Snow"
would return messages with Snowy Owl, Snow Bunting, snowing, snowy,
etc.)

In the advanced search you can narrow it down so that it looks simply for a
key word in the subject line or a particular address and you can set a range
of dates. If you just enter Snowy Owl in the Subject Contains box it'll return
641 messages. If you then add Since: December 2017, it returns 63
messages. If you were to change the date parameters Since: November
2011 Until: May 2012 it would return the 276 messages posted about Snowy
Owls in the 2011-12 irruption. You can narrow it down further by entering
word(s) in the String section and then additional words in the Advanced
Search section. I entered Snowy Owl in the String field and Shawnee in the

There are also options (in the Search Options) section that allow you to tailor
the results. Note that there is a little button by each search box that has a
question mark on it. Clicking this button will open a vey helpful informational
box.

The best thing I can advise is just go into this section and play with it. You
don't have to worry that you're going to break it. If the results you obtain from
a search don't make sense, click on the appropriate help button and try
again.

Yes, it does work on mobile devices and the screen will look the same so it
may be challenging to read, but it does work.

If you have any questions, drop me an email!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!