Date: 12/23/17 7:19 pm
From: Michael Park <dpbot...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Apparent Brown-crested Flycatcher
Dear SF Birders,

I am going out on a limb, and identifying the Myiarchus found by Dominic
Mosur as a Brown-crested Flycatcher.

My experience is limited to a few sightings in Southern California at
known locations with nesting birds. So, I might be missing something
obvious to someone with more experience. Commentary is requested.

It did not vocalize in the short time that I was able to view the bird.
The underside was pale yellow, possibly not as pale as expected for
Ash-throated Flycatcher or as strongly colored as a Great-crested
Flycatcher.

---------------

I was struck by the massive length and thickness of the bill unlike
Ash-throated Flycatcher.

The edging on the tertials is linear, dinghy and not white bold and like
a Great-crested Flycatcher.

The tertials and coverts are dark brown -- not black like a
Great-crested Flycatcher.

It's not apparent in the photos, but this was a large Myiarchus. I think
we can eliminate Dusky-capped Flycatcher.

RECOMMENDED:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74757345@N02/38375597455/in/photostream/

BACK AND TAIL:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74757345@N02/38544018184/in/photostream/