Date: 12/23/17 5:24 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Yet another Snowy Owl
I needed Snowy Owl on my O'Brien County list so this afternoon I followed
Waterman Creek for miles of good opportunities but no luck. Only
Rough-legged Hawks. Luck did show up late afternoon at Waterman Prairie as
a flash of white in the distance settled onto a pole on a ridge overlooking
the Little Sioux River. No sooner than I had the scope on it a male
Northern Harrier buzzed the female Snowy Owl and then worked off along the
prairie ridge. Twenty minutes later I headed for home and left the owl
still just sitting there.

As I worked back toward the highway twelve swans flew by headed towards the
river. As I watched them I noticed that one bird was smaller than all the
rest and so Tundra Swan was also added to my O'Brien County list. Earlier
along Waterman Blvd a flock of 23 Eastern Bluebirds was carefully evaluated
looking for the elusive Mountain Bluebird that occasionally shows up in
winter in this valley. I tried but could not make that happen. I also
played the tape for Townsend's Solitaire but only Purple Finches were
interested. They do sound alike.

Lee A Schoenewe

Spencer