Date: 12/23/17 5:06 pm
From: Jones, Christopher S <christopher-s-jones...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] eastern screech owl
honestly i think the original comment from Mr. Allen was very off-base. i was walking on the sidewalk of the busiest four lane street in Ankeny (and maybe Iowa) and the bird was a in a spruce tree just a few steps away from the sidewalk. No other pedestrians were around. There was nothing about this that was similar to the snowy owl stories except that the bird was an owl. Certainly some discretion is called for when viewing wildlife, but taking the comment to its logical end, we might as well confine ourselves to books and the internet when looking at birds and other wildlife. For what it's worth.