Date: 12/23/17 4:03 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Lakefront, 12/23

I checked several places along the northern Lake County lakefront today,
December 23. The Waukegan Harbor area was by far the most productive. I
made 2 stops at Waukegan, the first early in the morning, the second
early in the afternoon. My highlights from Waukegan include:

Black Scoter - female-type bird next to the Municipal Pier (p.m. only)
Long-tailed Duck - 7 female-type birds next to the Municipal Pier (6 in
the a.m. and 7 in the p.m.)
Lesser Black-backed Gull - second cycle type bird resting with Herring
Gulls on the docks in the north part of the harbor
Snowy Owl - heavily marked bird sitting on a concrete partition in the
parking lot just west of the Municipal Pier (thanks Bob E for the heads-up)

I also checked both units of Illinois Beach State Park and North Point
Marina. The south unit of IBSP had a Long-tailed Duck and large numbers
of Greater Scaup but nothing else of note. The north unit had a Thayer's
Gull or 2. North Point Marina was surprisingly birdless with few gulls
in the harbor. My best bird at NPM was a female Red-winged Blackbird.
Despite my best efforts I couldn't find any  Red-throated Loons. Just a
month ago I had over 20 in one day along the northern Lake County lakefront.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois

Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)