Date: 12/23/17 5:28 am
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: ADMIN: List Protocol & Etiquette
Good morning and happy holidays KSBIRD-L!

Not sure if you've noticed it but message volume on the list has taken a jump
over the past 6 weeks or so. I guess that might have something to do with
Snowy Owls, White-tailed Kites, Whooping Cranes, Pacific Wrens... well, you
get the point!

Between lots of exciting birds to report and the excitement of trying to get a
quick message out to the list from the field on your phone, we've had a few
hiccups in protocol and etiquette, if you will, recently. A lot of us will be doing
a LOT of birding between now and early January, so please take a moment
to note the following. A lot of these are simply to help maintain clarity and
minimize confusion. Some of it is also to help keep the archives cleaner for
when people in the future go back to the archives to research past bird
sightings (which happens far more often than you may realize!)

Please remember to include your name in the body of the message. Some
people don't use their full name or use a nickname for what shows up in the
message header. KSBIRD-L asks folks to use their real name as we have
found that anonymity too often leads to lack of respect. I would prefer that
you also use your home city locale in a signature block as many people still
like to know where your home base is so that new subscribers can connect
with other birders in their area.

Please make sure that your subject line actually pertains to what your
message is all about. Sometimes we hit reply to get a message off to the list
quickly, but if that message has nothing to do with the subject that is in the
subject line, it is confusing. Also, please don't start the message in the
subject line and then continue it in the body of the message. This disjoint can
be a little confusing at times.

Avoid abbreviations. Birders are notorious for using shorthand and assuming
that everyone thinks like they do. Don't assume. In my own notes I may write
FOS TuVu, MR and know very well that I'm saying "first of season Turkey
Vulture in Morris County". But if I use that in the list someone(s) will be left in
the dust without an understanding of what it means. While four letter codes
and county abbreviations are handy for someone to use in their notes, please
avoid using them on the list. The list is about Kansas Birds, but you'd be
amazed at how many people OUTSIDE of Kansas read it, especially on the
mirrored sites like the American Birding Association's Birding News site:
http://birding.aba.org/ (By the way, this is a great site to study up before
visiting a new state/area - virtually all the lists like KSBIRD-L are mirrored
there. You can read the lists without having to subscribe to them.)

I appreciate all the great reports that have been coming in and I also
recognize that some of us have old, fat, arthritic fingers that sometimes don't
work well on smartphone sized "keyboards". But cooperation by all will
provide better understanding by all and a better sense of community!

Again, enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate this month and especially enjoy
the birds!

Merry Christmas!
Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to