Date: 12/22/17 9:15 pm
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Violet-crowned Hummingbird, Sanderson (Terrell Co.)
Texbirds,
The immature Violet-crowned Hummingbird (originally discovered by Mel
Cooksey on 13 Dec) was showing well in Lee Hoy's backyard yesterday
afternoon, 21 December, in the unseasonable warmth ahead of the overnight
cold front. It was in view and quite active for most of my prolonged visit,
either fly-catching high in the canopy of the big honey locust or visiting
one of two hummingbird feeders in the backyard. It would aggressively chase
away any of the 2-3 Anna's Hummingbirds that would venture into the
backyard. One Anna's didn't venture far from the feeders in the front yard.
Conservatively 4 Anna's total and one female Phainopepla.

Lee has very graciously opened his driveway for viewing his yard and
feeders for as long as the bird stays. In order to be as considerate as
possible, I don't feel comfortable advertising his address on the listserv
without his explicit permission. Please feel free to contact me directly
for that info or navigate to the Papster's Place hotspot pin on eBird by
searching Species Maps>Violet-crowned Hummingbird>Sanderson, TX.

And please, USE THE eBIRD HOTSPOT unless you bird the entire town of
Sanderson in addition to Lee's yard.

Happy Holidays!
Justin Bosler
currently in Big Lake, TX