Date: 12/22/17 5:50 pm
From: Warblers Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary <warblerwoods...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: 4 Zonotrichia daily @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary, Cibolo/Schertz
Thanks Mitch, so it remains hard to do in Texas? One of our visitors asked this question and we have been trying to find the answer since them and lots of major birders trying to figure it out while visiting. It is such fun to have fun birds and get to see our birding friends here, instead at conferences. It is great fun to share!
Come visit some time—you have to contact me to make arrangements, so that I can get you through the gate.

Birding is such fun—you never know what might show up & they have wings and like I like to say, they don’t read the books on rangemaps!

I love hearing from all of you—thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org, http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L213585?yr=cur
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS

> On Dec 22, 2017, at 7:35 PM, <mitch...> wrote:
>
> Hi Susan and all,
>
> Some of the lack of response may be because in some areas
> it really is not that big of a deal to see the 4 regular Zons
> in one place. Here in Texas it is harder to do.
>
> I would not have bothered commenting but for the inference
> about the degree of rarity of this being greater than reality.
> Winter in CA, the four zons somewhere is often easy, it
> probably happens annually. There, all you need is the
> Harris's really. Or however you want to spell that now.
>
> I have had 4 Zons at a site a number of times in California.
> I have had four Zons *at once* multiple times there.
> In L.A., in Orange Co., on my window feeder in Jan. 1973
> in Big Pine, Inyo Co. I suspect most long term CA birders
> have had 4 zons at a spot more than once.
>
> Here it is much harder, you need the Golden-crowned which
> is far far rarer than a Harris's in California.
>
> Mitch Heindel
>
> Utopia
>
> Where now 24 Red Crossbill are moving up and down the
> river habitat corridor, but are so far for me, unlocatable
> 'on the ground'. I have heard first and then seen the
> flock fly around or go by three times this week.

> from the List Owner

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!