Date: 12/22/17 4:03 pm
From: M Gonzalez <towhee...>
Subject: [COBOL] Black Phoebe -- Billy Chinook

Greetings COBOLers,

I did a little birding in Jefferson County today, including a stop to the boat ramp (Crooked River Day Use Area) at Billy Chinook Reservoir.

I found a couple Greater Scaup on the water and heard the high single call note of the Black Phoebe coming from a juniper behind me. I eventually got my binos on the bird briefly. It flushed, gave it's call note again, and I got a second look before it split. Both times I heard and saw the bird, it was north of the restrooms.

I checked eBird and saw that this bird is usually observed in late Sept. to mid-October in central Oregon. I did not see any November or December records for this bird in eBird. This is a bird that I routinely see in the riparian areas of Arizona and New Mexico during my regular trips to these states. My colleagues in the San Pedro National Riparian Conservation Area call the Black Phoebe the "River Guardian" because of its affinity for water. Call note is quite distinct.

Good birding,

Mark

--
Mark Gonzalez