Date: 12/22/17 1:26 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Redpoll Flock Growing & Large Green Birds Squawking At Chicago Botanic Friday 12-22-17
Hello Bird People,

Hard to find new year birds at this late date so I like to cover
places with the potential for something out of the ordinary to arrive.
Such a place is the Chicago Botanic Garden but the "out of the
ordinary" species seen today was certainly not one I would have ever
expected which proves it was indeed
"out of the ordinary"!

Highlights (for those not interested in complete bird lists)

I always start with the Birch & Alder trees during the Winter & right
away I found a very large finch flock in the Birch trees around the
Regenstein Building. But unlike most other visits the finches were in
the Birches at the NE corner of the building. Took a while to count
them & I counted 76 finches of which 72 were COMMON REDPOLLS & 4 were
Goldfinch. My previous high count for this year was 41 seen 4 days ago
at the NW corner of the building. Again I did not find the single
Hoary Redpoll.

The largest body of open water continues to be the pond between the
Regenstein Building & Evening Island where I saw 3 species of diving
ducks plus Mallards & Canada Geese.
(See full list below for counts.)

Finally, on my way back from the B.Brown Reserve Pond I heard what
sounded like a squawking Parrot but I thought that I must be mistaken.
But I was NOT mistaken as a few minutes later in flew 2 very loud &
very green squawking MONK PARAKEETS a species I had never seen or even
dreamed of seeing at the CBG in years past. This was just north of the
Osprey nest platform by some maintenance buildings near Dundee Road.

Complete Bird List (for those who ARE interested in complete bird lists)

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:45-10:45 a.m.)

Canada Goose (218)
WOOD DUCK (3-M, 1st I've seen in several weeks)
Mallard (Max = 83)
Goldeneye (1-F)
Hooded Merganser (1-PR & another male elsewhere)
Red Breasted Merganser (1-PR)
Coot (1, return of the Winter Coot in the same area it always winters)
Ring Billed (4) & Herring (3) Gulls
MONK PARAKEET (2 together, 1st time ever at this site)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1)
Downy Woodpecker (1-2)
Blue Jay (2)
Crow (1-2)
Chickadee (2-3)
Red Breasted Nuthatch (2 together)
Robin (4 with 1 singing!)
Cardinal (2-PR)
Dark Eyed Junco (8)
House Finch (2)
PINE SISKIN (8, at the thistle feeders & nearby)
COMMON REDPOLL (72 seen at 8 a.m. & all were back at 10:30 a.m.)
Goldfinch (9-10)
House Sparrow (4-6)

Techny Basin North

Saw on ebird that Amanda T reported that 2 Green Winged Teal remained
from the larger flock that had been here. So I checked & the 2 were
still with the Mallards.

Bird-Of-The-Day to my 1st ever Monk Parakeets at the CBG &
Runners-Up to the army of Redolls, all 72 of them.

Al Stokie
Staying local in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: