Date: 12/22/17 9:28 am
From: Ann Verdi <aeverdi235...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] San Jose CBC (12/17) - late post
Here is another late post on the San Jose CBC, Dec 17.

Rich Page and I covered a portion of the San Jose Urban sector, and ended
up with 54 species for the day.

We had a few species of note - nine GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and one
SNOW GOOSE in with a Canada Goose flock in the playing fields in back
of Independence High School - at least 20 AMERICAN PIPITS at Penitencia
Creek Park (Berryessa & White Rds) - and three WOOD DUCKS at Overfelt
Gardens.

Otherwise, it was kind of a lack-luster day for us where many smaller birds
(passerines & woodpeckers) seemed unusually quiet. Our area includes urban
settings in northeastern San Jose (golf course, urban parks), We have a
stretch along Coyote Creek that we usually take, but this year there was
some event going with lots of people & cars, so we had to skip it; this is
where we usually get our best riparian species. I also noticed that there
has been considerable damage along that stretch with dead and fallen trees,
similar to what has occurred to the Guadalupe River upstream due to the
recent drought & deluge cycle.

Ann Verdi
San Jose

Join us on Facebook!