Date: 12/21/17 3:10 pm
From: Jay Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Lacassine-Thornwell CBC preliminary report
Good evening,

I was in the wrong section for Lac.-Thornwell this time around! Blue-headed Vireo was a big deal for us! But as best I recall I think I was the fourth person to see the referenced Mountain Plover and likely around the tenth to see the Pyrrhuloxia!

West Jetty was a bust for Sabine CBC and birding was lackluster as best I know.

But CBCs generate really important data. Even lackluster CBCs or sectors become "what can you find games"! So even a singleton sparrow that should be abundant but isn't becomes a great find!

Jay Huner

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 1:29 PM, Rob Dobbs <rcdobbs...> wrote:
>
> LABIRD:
>
> The Lacassine-Thornwell CBC was held last Friday, 15 December 2017, for the
> 16th time (1997-2003, 2009-present). We had a good turnout with 25
> participants--THANK YOU everyone! We had to endure a cold, and worse still,
> windy day, but rain only hampered efforts for brief periods. Mercifully,
> the wind lessened a bit, and the clouds even broke apart briefly, in the
> mid-afternoon.
>
> Still waiting to see data for a couple of key areas, so its too early to
> predict the total species number, judge bad misses, etc. But we did have
> some nice birds... including a first for the count Northern Parula. Other
> highlights that I've heard about: three Short-eared Owls (tough to find in
> recent years), White-tailed Kite and Common Ground-Dove (both miss-able),
> Least Flycatcher, Say's Phoebe, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-and-white
> Warbler, Summer Tanager (only one previous record for count), and Painted
> Bunting (4 previous records).
>
> Louisiana has a fine tradition of Christmas Bird Counts, and being in the
> field on count day with a cadre of dedicated observers is a great way to
> find remarkable birds. The Lacassine-Thornwell count, alone, has turned up
> two state firsts in recent years (Mountain Plover in 2012, and Pyrrhuloxia
> in 2015). Please consider getting out to count this holiday season!
>
> --
> Rob Dobbs
> Lafayette, LA

Join us on Facebook!