Date: 12/21/17 2:51 pm
From: janeen walters <waltersjaneen...>
Subject: Snow goose and eagle attack
I went searching for the Snowy owl this morning. The lighting was poor and it was no where to be found around Arn Road.

It was easy to occupy myself with the hundreds of thousands of Snow geese in the area between Rossville and St. Mary’s.
I was parked along 62nd road visiting with Dan Hoobler when we witnessed a bald eagle (looked like a first year) dive at a lone goose squatting in the field alongside the road. We had noticed the goose and wondered about his health. It wasn’t until he flew upwards at the oncoming eagle that we noticed his bloody neck and chest. We figured he was a goner as the eagle lunged at him 3 or 4 more times. The goose was putting up a heck of a fight. The eagle then flew about 100 yards over to the two adult Bald eagles sitting in the field and did not come back. Then the goose actually flew away and joined a flock nearby.

I also phissed up a wren in the trees and creek along the road, it most resembled a Bewick’s
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!