Date: 12/21/17 1:30 pm
From: EA <eaubrey...>
Subject: [ia-bird] North Liberty Snowy Owl
This morning around 9:15 I came across a Snowy Owl on 240th St. about
halfway between James Ave. and Half Moon Rd. in a field just a few yards
from the road to the north. It spooked when I stopped my car and flew
further into the field where it stayed for a minute or two. Then it took
off south toward F28 where it perched on a utility pole for several minutes.
Then it flew south, away from me and out of view. I drove in that direction
but did not relocate it on James Ave., F28, Half Moon Rd., or 260th St.

I don't know if this was one of the same birds seen over the last week in
the area. It was the third sighting for me in a week, and by far the
closest I have ever been to a Snowy Owl (accidentally since it was only a
few feet from the road as I drove by). I am always astounded to see an owl
spread its enormous wings and fly. I've seen a Snowy do it twice now,
Monday and today. Both times the bird hugged the fields, closely navigating
the rills and rises, and at the very last second rising strongly to the top
of a pole and landing cleanly.

I'm going to count this as my third lifer of a Snowy Owl. Rules, what
rules?

Elizabeth Aubrey

Iowa City