Date: 12/21/17 11:29 am
From: Rob Dobbs <rcdobbs...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Lacassine-Thornwell CBC preliminary report
LABIRD:

The Lacassine-Thornwell CBC was held last Friday, 15 December 2017, for the
16th time (1997-2003, 2009-present). We had a good turnout with 25
participants--THANK YOU everyone! We had to endure a cold, and worse still,
windy day, but rain only hampered efforts for brief periods. Mercifully,
the wind lessened a bit, and the clouds even broke apart briefly, in the
mid-afternoon.

Still waiting to see data for a couple of key areas, so its too early to
predict the total species number, judge bad misses, etc. But we did have
some nice birds... including a first for the count Northern Parula. Other
highlights that I've heard about: three Short-eared Owls (tough to find in
recent years), White-tailed Kite and Common Ground-Dove (both miss-able),
Least Flycatcher, Say's Phoebe, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-and-white
Warbler, Summer Tanager (only one previous record for count), and Painted
Bunting (4 previous records).

Louisiana has a fine tradition of Christmas Bird Counts, and being in the
field on count day with a cadre of dedicated observers is a great way to
find remarkable birds. The Lacassine-Thornwell count, alone, has turned up
two state firsts in recent years (Mountain Plover in 2012, and Pyrrhuloxia
in 2015). Please consider getting out to count this holiday season!

--
Rob Dobbs
Lafayette, LA

Join us on Facebook!