Date: 12/20/17 7:18 pm
From: David Muth <MuthD...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Mangrove Yellow Warbler Grand Isle
LABIRD:

Christie re-found the "Mangrove" Yellow Warbler less than fifty feet from the first sighting at sunset today. Again, lighting and dense foliage made it impossible for us to obtain a photo.

This is an apparent adult male, a rich deep yellow warbler with a chestnut head. All three sightings were frustrating because after posing briefly in highly visible spots surrounded by branches that made auto-focusing impossible, it flew 40-50 feet deeper into the thicket and the trail went cold. We heard it give fairly typical YEWA "zeet" flight notes and Christie probably heard it give a typical YEWA sweet chip. It was skittish when pished and did not respond to various taped inducements--no response to screech owl, chickadee, pygmy-owl, mixed call tapes or YEWA sweet chip notes.

If you tale Ludwig Lane to the left-turning road just before the WLF Building, turn left towards the kayak launch, you will come to a right turn with a primitive road continuing straight. Park there and walk ahead. This is an area of mostly baccharis shrubs on fill in a black mangrove stand. The baccharis is dense, and the mangroves are quite tall. There are small mixed flocks of yellow-rumps, western palms and orange-crowned, with one of which flocks it may be associating.

As far as I know, this is the first representative of this form to be reported in Louisiana. A couple of pairs have nested in extreme South Texas.

Photos would be fantastic.

David Muth
New Orleans