Date: 12/20/17 6:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lost Mounds (Jo Davies Co) & Lock & Dam #13 (Whiteside Co) Wed 12-20-17
Hello Bird People,

This will be one of those "long day/short report" posts. Left home at
5 a.m. with Andy Sigler in the hopes that we could get to Lost Mounds
at about 8-8:30 a.m. However, near the town of Winnebago the dashboard
in Andy's car showed that their was a tire problem. Put air in the
obviously low front tire but in a few minutes the light was back on
with the slow leak becoming a fast leak. With help from Dan Williams
we found a tire place & in 45 min we had 2 new front tires & were on
our way although with no hope of the early start we thought we'd have.

Arrived at the Juniper tree area at the end of the public area (Jo
Davies Co) at 10:15 a.m. Already there were Ethan & Cindy Brown & then
up drove Brendon Lake. Played the Solitaire call a few times but
nothing came in. Played a Screech Owl call & that didn't seem to work
either. But then Cindy B saw a bird fly in to the top of a Juniper
close to a Blue Jay. Turned out to be a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE. This was
in the same area Craig T saw 2 a few days ago & today it took about a
full hour before we saw the Solitaire.

All the Junipers meant that many berry eaters were around & we saw the
following:

Blue Jay (4), Chickadee (2), Eastern Bluebird (11), TOWNSEND'S
SOLITAIRE (1), Robin (1),
MOCKINGBIRD (2), Cedar Waxwing (14), Yellow Rumped Myrtle Warbler (12)
& Purple Finch (1). Several adult BALD EAGLES were flying overhead.

As we drove out of Lost Mounds Andy & I saw a NORTHERN SHRIKE but that
was in Carroll Co.

Next stop was Lock & Dam #13 where we saw a huge flock of Canvasbacks
but all were in Iowa waters. Along the road in to the river were
TUNDRA SWANS (50-55), Mallards (25) & Gadwall (8).
Ring Billed (15) & Herring (4) Gulls were on the ice, a male Hooded
Merg flew in from Iowa and at least 20 Bald Eagles were in trees & on
the ice.

Next stop was a Taco Bell in Clinton, Iowa & while there Brendon
called to say he was watching a SNOWY OWL on an ice flow in the river
by the dam. Back we went & the ice flow riding Snowy Owl was getting
closer & closer to the dam. Finally it flew to another ice flow & then
another before eventually flying north a fair distance & landing on 1
of the buoys that mark the state line. As best we could tell we saw
this Owl in both Iowa & Whiteside Co in Illinois. Thanks go to Brendon
for calling.

We had planned to look for the Barnacle Goose on the way home but we
spent so much time with the Snowy Owl that there wasn't enough
daylight left for that project.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Townsend's Solitaire which was Illinois County
#8 for me for that species.
Runners-Up to the Snowy Owl & the Northern Shrike. A very good day
after a poor start due to car problems.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: