Date: 12/20/17 2:23 pm
From: <mcvetas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Red Crossbill recorded at Swallow Cliff
On my fourth or fifth attempt to see Red Crossbills at Swallow Cliff FP in Palos Park, Cook, I finally succeeded today about 10:15am. I photographed and recorded a single immature male calling from atop one of the white pines near the parking lot. To my eye and ear, I believe this is a Western Hemlock or type 3 Red Crossbill.

Images and recording at the link.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41214125 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41214125

Compare to the spectograms and recordings on eBird.

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/ http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/

Matthew Cvetas
Evanston, IL

Join us on Facebook!