Date: 12/19/17 3:56 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR
Don't ever let someone tell you that birding in the rain is not good.
Today was rainy and foggy but there were lots of birds at every turn.
Large mixed flocks of sparrows were observed quite often. We finished the
day with 81 Harris's Sparrows, 34 Song Sparrows, 25 Savannah Sparrows, 10
Fox Sparrows, 48 Dark-eyed Juncos, 37 Northern Cardinals, 11 White-throated
Sparrows, 2 Lincoln's Sparrows and 1 each of Swamp and Field Sparrows. We
only saw about 500 White Geese on the refuge, but many more are probably
feeding off the refuge. Duck numbers were excellent, with 521 Northern
Pintails, 211 Gadwalls, 201 Mallards, 120 Green-winged Teal, 109
Ring-necked Ducks, 97 Redheads, 6 Ruddy Ducks, 37 Northern Shovelers, 4
Canvasbacks, 3 Buffleheads and 1 American Wigeon. We found a flock of 16
Tom, Wild Turkeys in the woods just past Meadow Pond. We saw a couple of
Pileated Woodpeckers on the road to Meadow Pond. We finished the day with
79 species.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!